Friday, November 30, 2018

Thoughts on Life

November 9, 2001.

I've been reading over "Wild at Heart" in preparation for my weekly meeting with Elwyn. We are on Chapter 11 of 12. The title is "An adventure to Live". I've long looked at life as a grand story revealing itself over time. I've often wondered what stories others are living. What have they seen? What are their experiences? How do they see life?

Life for me is an adventure and this book feeds my thoughts. A key question of course is "What is adventure?" Let me put out that adventure involves the unknown (mystery perhaps) and thus, risk. The "unknown and risk" imply a lack of controllability, a lack of formulaic procedures to solve problems. The "unknown and risk" imply danger and creativity...

God created the universe, he created the creatures in heaven and on earth. Thus he created Lucifer, Adam, and Eve. His creation was perfect and free. His creativity provided mystery and risk. God did not provide a step by step plan to his creation. He provided relationship with himself. That relationship with him is as unique as each individual.

What are important areas of our lives? God? Spouse (significant other)? Close friends? Work? Do any of these seem routine? Are there unknowns? Do you know God so well that there is no more mystery? What about your spouse? Do your friends surprise you from time to time with what they think or do? Is work exactly the same day to day? Are there unknowns out of your control? What are the risks? What spiritual battles do you face? Do you deal with them the same way every time? What if God offers you a different solution? You have friends. Did you follow a formula to get to know them? Which of your friends excite or inspire you? Why do you think this might be? Have you ever felt truely alive? What was your experience? What was it that brought you to the state of being alive?

I'm still answering these for myself. But I am coming beginning to accept that God and formulaic solutions don't mix. What works for one might not work for another; that God sees unique solutions for his unique creatures, all the while bringing them to the same final solution...relationship with him. This relationship, in its truest form, is not passive. No, its quite active indeed. He is active with us and we are active with him. Our lives change the closer we get to him. If we no longer see mystery, the unknown, or realize the risk of any of our relationships, then we've stopped looking and are trying to control. Seek the danger of discovery, run the risk of finding out what really is?

"Never make a principle out of your experience; let God be as original with other people as he is with you." Oswald Chambers

"I want to love with much more abandon and stop waiting for others to love me first. I want to hurl myself into a creative work worthy of God. I want to charge the fields at Banockburn, follow Peter as he followed Christ out onto the sea, pray from my heart's true desire." John Eldredge, "Wild at Heart" p 199

"I no longer call you servants...Instead, I have called you friends." Jesus "John 15:15"

What does it mean to be friends with God? Adam, Enoch, Moses, Abraham, all the men and women of faith from Hebrews were friends with God. Take a look at their individual relationships with their Creator...

Happy Sabbath, God's blessing to you and yours

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment